The Dream League Forum
In order to post in and view most of the forum, you will have to login. So please join us ^_^

a place to dream, and show the world how awesome you really are


You are not connected. Please login or register

Stuff that bothers me about school

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1--- Stuff that bothers me about school on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:15 pm

TheBarry<3

avatar
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
I guess this is a rant but id like us to discuss, I wanna know if theres any other schools like mine x-x Just read lol



The first thing that bothers me....

My school is mainly artsy, but I still have to learn math, history, language and science. It just seems like every year we go over the same stuff.

A few years ago, they started teaching us Mean, Median, mode and range. Alright, thats cool, so we do a few weeks on that and move on. Year later, our teacher introduces us to Mean, Median, mode and range like we've never seen it before. So im like OOOOKKKKKK Suspect
Then finally this year, we just got to mean, median, mode and range!! BUT WAIT THERES MORE! this year theyve thrown in standard deviation!! oh what a diffrence!!!
not ._.

I just feel like im not learning anything new. Theyve done this with several other math concepts as well as various stuff in my other classes. I can understand "review" but there spending weeks on end in the same topic is not cool. Im not ranting, well I guess I am, but if im going to be at school I dont want them wasting my time..



second reason why im bothered

schools are always trying to compete with each other. Theyve changed the standards for my class alot, and every year. Things always seem to get harder for us. My teacher says that they are trying to compete with ther schools, and there trying to catch up with Japan.
Japan and America are two totally diffrent places I just wanna make that point now. what works for japan and there kids doesnt work here, in vise versa. Every kid is diffrent. Instead of competing with each other, schools should instead meet the needs of their students ( which they claim to do)
Most of the teachers at my school could careless wether a student passes or not, they just do what ever the state says. Theres a way to care and support and still do your job :3

are you guys school like that?
we live in a sad world nowadays lol

what do you think? I've heard of other schools like my own that are out there!

Discuss!!

I love my school, and I love the huge music/theater program we have, I just cant stand the way they act towards core subjects x-x its so anoying.


_________________

2--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest

3--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 pm

griffinheart

avatar
Admin
Admin
PK_Troll wrote:
green day's version is better >.>



and barry, you'll get the MMMR every year xD i <3 using infinity in it though lol they just keep adding to what you already know~ what you learn one year is just a basis for the next level


_________________
http://guardeddreams.site40.net

4--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 pm

ShutterBox

avatar
Uber Trainer
Uber Trainer
I don't understand. You say that it's not hard enough because you're learning the same things over and over again. But then you say it's hard because they're raising the standards?


_________________


"It doesn't do wood!" - The Doctor

5--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 pm

TheBarry<3

avatar
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
Shutterbox wrote:I don't understand. You say that it's not hard enough because you're learning the same things over and over again. But then you say it's hard because they're raising the standards?

Never said it wasnt hard enough =p
I have more then one class, I could be talking about diffrent ones


_________________

6--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:13 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
griffinheart wrote:
PK_Troll wrote:
green day's version is better >.>
no just no,for the love of god billy doesn't say f_uck and he is suppose to be in a punk band? please,john Lennon version is better.

also i do like Green day,


and my face when your post.

7--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:23 am

Paradox

avatar
Pokémon Master
Pokémon Master
Barry wrote:A few years ago, they started teaching us Mean, Median, mode and range. Alright, thats cool, so we do a few weeks on that and move on. Year later, our teacher introduces us to Mean, Median, mode and range like we've never seen it before. So im like OOOOKKKKKK Suspect
Then finally this year, we just got to mean, median, mode and range!! BUT WAIT THERES MORE! this year theyve thrown in standard deviation!! oh what a diffrence!!!
not ._.

Not sure how your school is set up, but it seems like you're just whining. You're also trying to say that it's the same teacher who knew you guys learned Mean, Median, and Mode. If it is, then she should learn better, but if it's not, then you cannot blame her for not knowing what you learned. Are you saying that she's dumb just because she cannot read your mind and know that you learned this?

Im not ranting, well I guess I am, but if im going to be at school I dont want them wasting my time..

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know the school had the bow down to one kid's requirement. If it doesn't please the almighty Barry, then for God's sake, we need to make it worth his time! .__.


schools are always trying to compete with each other. Theyve changed the standards for my class alot, and every year. Things always seem to get harder for us. My teacher says that they are trying to compete with ther schools, and there trying to catch up with Japan.

Yeah, that's because Japan is ranked 5 and United States is ranked 11. Not that bad, but it's still something to push for.

Every kid is diffrent. Instead of competing with each other, schools should instead meet the needs of their students ( which they claim to do)

Tell me exactly why schools should meet the kids' need? That is a completely dumb statement that you have said. You're saying that the schools need to adjust for every student and make sure that they get what they should get. No, the school is an acting barrier and sets the requirements that you need for college that will push you into future careers that you hopefully have set in High School. Just because you passed Algebra I in High School doesn't mean you cannot take Algebra in College. In all honesty, the school sets the barrier and the students have to meet the need. No one can force a student to enjoy school and it's all upon their decision to meet the need.

Most of the teachers at my school could careless wether a student passes or not,

Those are bad teachers.

...they just do what ever the state says. Theres a way to care and support and still do your job :3

So now you have a right to criticize a teacher despite the fact that you do not know all there is to being a teacher? Teachers are your guides toward your goal, and like all guides, they can range from suckyness to awesomeness.

are you guys school like that?

Hearing from you, mine is so much better since your school filled your head with all this nonsense.

I love my school, and I love the huge music/theater program we have, I just cant stand the way they act towards core subjects x-x its so anoying.

That's good. Everyone should enjoy school. I like my school as well. They actually support everything quite equally and don't show favorism over one subject over another.


_________________
http://www.skorgro.com/

8--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:12 am

TheBarry<3

avatar
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
There no reason to be rude mblaze. If your going to be, don't reply. Wasn't whinning,that's you assuming things. I'm glad you find the time to critic me instead of going to do something useful
Does your reply make you feel better about yourself?
:p


_________________

9--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:19 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Barry wrote:There no reason to be rude mblaze. If your going to be, don't reply. Wasn't whinning,that's you assuming things. I'm glad you find the time to critic me instead of going to do something useful
Does your reply make you feel better about yourself?
:p

actually he has the right to say what ever to say, regardless i actually didn't read the op til now and i must say it's was quite stupid to complain about watching the same topic 3 times in a row,and don't use the defense, ''don't post if you don't like'' please it if it was not the smart thing to post and it was just posted for the sake of complaining(like this response).

10--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Clover

avatar
Admin
Admin
Griffin you can't everererereveverere say someone elses version of a Beatles song is better :/ bad griffin no biscuit!
---------------------------


As for barry and learning the same stuff over and over again in math...

Usually they just do a 'review' of what was covered in the previous year or semester then build on the concept to learn new things. (especially in math) If you LITERALLY aren't learning anything new, you should ask to take a math placement exam.

This will allow you to skip over the classes they think youre supposed to be in, and you'll be able to take more challenging courses! ^^

as for the second part...our schools would 'catch up' to other countries standards if we actually put a little MONEY into schools (instead of the ridiculous ammount we put into ammunition and military expense >_>; for a start)

also making sure teachers have more training on how to actually be a teacher would probably be beneficial, but again this is probably due to lack of funds.

http://www.sweetcharm.net

11--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
[quote="Clover"]Griffin you can't everererereveverere say someone elses version of a Beatles song is better :/ bad griffin no biscuit!
---------------------------
for her defence i say this covers are better than the original.


12--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Paradox

avatar
Pokémon Master
Pokémon Master
Barry wrote:There no reason to be rude mblaze. If your going to be, don't reply. Wasn't whinning,that's you assuming things. I'm glad you find the time to critic me instead of going to do something useful

Lol u mad?


_________________
http://www.skorgro.com/

13--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:22 am

fuzia

avatar
Uber Trainer
Uber Trainer
In paradox's defense, you did ask for a discussion, although he was a little harsh about it. Anyway, yes, your school probably goes over the same things in math each year, but it's probably a review. I know you've skipped a grade, so you probably are a little bit ahead right now. It sounds like you should probably be in a harder class. Remember that not everyone catches on as quickly as you. Spending weeks on the same topic is a little ridiculous, but like I said, the other students are just as important as you. The teacher will go as fast as the class as a whole needs, and the outliers will either benefit or not.

Yes, things are getting harder for students. But that's because students are getting smarter. And why wouldn't you want to catch up in Japan? Paradox is right, as far as developed countries go, we are far behind in education. We should most definitely be much higher. I'm not saying I'm not already under enough stress, but it would be nice if there was a better curriculum going along with that stress.

And I don't think it's that the teachers don't care if the students pass or not. (If they do, that's just a bad teacher.) If a student isn't going to try, though, I think it's reasonable for the teacher not to devote their time trying to convince this student of why they should be trying to pass. Yeah, they should talk to them a little bit, but after a while, it's just futile for some students. But I digress. Clover is right though, we don't put like, any funds into education. Just last year we spent who knows how much on new plasma screen TVs for our new classrooms, yet we can barely afford paper this year, and they're COMPLETELY changing the schedule in an effort to save money. Yes, I know that the TVs were budgeted, but still.

So, yeah, I think we live in a sad world, but definitely not for the same reason you do. For all the work our students do, they're receiving sub-par (by the developed country standards) educations. I think that brings up another discussion of how commercial and business-y the college market has gotten, but I doubt you want to get into that.

ANYWAY that's just my reaction


_________________




i'm gonna be the very best.
{archer}


i'm a bidoof


14--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:56 am

[Meap]Katniss~<3

avatar
Pokémon Legend
Pokémon Legend
Anyway, let me just say that I think this topic is really pointless and nobody else really needed to know this.
-------------

Teachers repeat things to make sure you have it stuck in your head. Just because you get it, doesn't mean everyone else does.


OMG MBlaze... I'm in seventh grade and we're learning Algebra, whatchu talkin bout high school?


_________________


http://reione.forumotion.com/

15--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Paradox

avatar
Pokémon Master
Pokémon Master
[Meap]Katniss~<3 wrote:OMG MBlaze... I'm in seventh grade and we're learning Algebra, whatchu talkin bout high school?

Not everyone learns the same pace. Some people learn slower and catch on quickly. Algebra is available in High Schools for those who either are at that level or just failed it.


_________________
http://www.skorgro.com/

16--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Nellie Lovett

avatar
Team Rocket
Team Rocket
[Meap]Katniss~<3 wrote:OMG MBlaze... I'm in seventh grade and we're learning Algebra, whatchu talkin bout high school?

...Lucky. >.>
I didn't start algebra until 8th, and that was the accelerated class, which was basically 9th grade honours.
But not saying that I like math. ._. It's one of the least favourite subjects.
But at least I don't have to wear a uniform or have theology class. Awesomesauce!


_________________

Hunt me down, smear my name, say I did it for the fame, what I did
was kill the man who killed my country.

Epic avatar by Griffinheart.
http://md427.deviantart.com/

17--- Re: Stuff that bothers me about school on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Pokéfreak

avatar
Pokémon Hero
Pokémon Hero
I started algebra in 6th grade Cool Beans

And Barry, when you ask for discussion, don't expect everybody to be supportive of your comments/side.


_________________
It's really annoying being the only real gamer in my entire grade.

Playing: Fallout: New Vegas, Dead Space, Mass Effect
Watching: Beauty and the Beast, Glee, Arrested Development, Whatever anime I can find
Reading: Max Broox's works, The Necromancer
Listening to: Blue October, Wilco, Elbow, Tripod

You can also check out what I'm doing at my twitter, here

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum