The Dream League Forum
In order to post in and view most of the forum, you will have to login. So please join us ^_^

a place to dream, and show the world how awesome you really are

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nintendo's attempt to get rid of gen 5 images -- discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Clover

Admin
Admin
Ok, if someone can confirm this for me, I would appreciate it. From what I've HEARD, Nintendo is asking major sites (like serebii) to take down Generation 5 images. On serebii, you can see that the image list of gen 5 screen shots are no longer available.

Now, why would Nintendo do this?

I would assume that they don't want 'spoilers' getting to areas that the game hasn't been released in yet....but why? What do they care if someone does research on the internet and finds the list of Pokémon pictures?

The person searching isn't then forced to look through the page. They actually aren't even forced to click any link that says something like "Black and White". The person would assume there will be information (and possibly pictures) of the newest Pokémon there.

So assuming this is all true, I still have to ask why.

This is an information age where news travels quite quickly. An attempt to block the communication of news seems completely pointless. I haven't heard of them doing this for any other generation....have you?

My initial thought was that Serebii (or any other site that has gotten a message from Nintendo/Gamefreak) had been tricked by some Anonymous.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Please don't post any pics as I've stated in the header this thread won't contain spoilers. It's simply a discussion on why the gen 5 pictures are being taken down.

http://www.sweetcharm.net

kommeo

Admin
Admin
In The Games Department

Black & White - Massive Notice

From Serebii:
I have just received notification from Nintendo regarding the Pokémon Black & White games. They have requested that I no longer post images about the games claiming they violate intellectual property. As such, for the time being I have had to remove all images related to the games. Our section will still be massively indepth and I'll continue to cover the games where possible and provide an alternative to the images as and when we can. As of today, I have been given the goahead to start posting images up subject to fair use so we should be back to our usual functional capacity soon once I get some clarification as to what the actual problem was. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused during our Black & White coverage
In The Games Department.

I don't think this is a trick Clover, I heard that they got to youtube to. I could be wrong though. I really don't care that they took it down, to me it just lets me go to different site without having to see a pic of the new Gen.

what can I say ^^

Nellie Lovett

Team Rocket
Team Rocket
Yeah, it was something like it'd hurt them or something. But I think it'd help them more than anything else. >_> Here's a blog poast from one of the groups I'm in on dA:

apparently on alot of pokemon sites the nintendo guys have sent letters to the admins of the sites telling them to remove all pokemon b/w images off their sites. the reason for this is because it will hurt nintendo or something like that. so alot of pokemon sites have removed juicy b/w images from their sites..

but we still get a hefty amount of information from pokemon sites. just no pictures! im a little dissapointed. i wanted to draw more pokemon but now i cant find a reference. if anyone knows a good website i'd be really happy if you posted it on the comments below!

Soyeah:\.

Hunt me down, smear my name, say I did it for the fame, what I did
was kill the man who killed my country.

Epic avatar by Griffinheart.
http://md427.deviantart.com/

Mysidia

Mystic Trainer
Mystic Trainer
This is just weird, Nintendo does not always make good moves though.

http://www.pokemonmysidia.com

griffinheart

Admin
Admin
It's just weird... I mean, they haven't said anything before .-. and what? its been like over 10 years now? And I am not completely sure that it's Nintendo... it's just too weird...

locodude0001

Uber Trainer
Uber Trainer
Bulbapedia says it's confirmed that it's a lawyer.

"Following further information posted in the discussion thread for this story on the Bulbagarden forums by WaterPokémonMaster, we are now confident in stating that this is not a hoax of any kind, and that these notices are legitimate. Both WaterPokémonMaster and Joe have since contacted the lawyer directly by phone. WaterPokémonMaster has made it clear in his statement on our forums that he does not wish to discuss the content of these discussions. The exact reasons for these notices having been sent to these sites are as of yet still not fully understood by Bulbagarden."

... but i still think it's BS. What if it's A lawyer? not, like, a lawyer hired by Nintendo? Or just someone pretending to be one. If this really isn't a hoax or something, i still question "why?"

There's no harm being done to them. Unless, like, 50% of the gamers saw the new pokemon and said "Screw it, i'm done. No more Pokemon." And even then, they could just bring the game back to Gamestop or something if they don't like it.

The pictures in no way have anything to do with downloading a rom, so they're not losing money that way.

So what the frick, Nintendo?

Paradox

Pokémon Master
Pokémon Master
It's already too late. Many fans outside of Japan have seen the pictures already, and the ones that haven't are most likely the ones that don't want to get spoiled. They did it pretty fast considering that the Pokemon sprites have been up since Thursday (that's when I saw them, they probably were up Wednesday or something), but I agree with what Mysidia is saying. I want to know if he/she is Nintendo's lawyer or not.

Clover

Admin
Admin
Youtube takes videos down ALL the time. So if a few pokemon vids are being taken down, it doesn't surprise me.

What I want to see is a message posted on the official Nintendo site, and maybe an explanation.

I actually had another concern....as it seems like Nintendo is trying to keep the info secret: Does that mean as SOON as the game is released people can post pics? Well you know not EVERYONE will have the game by then, so maybe we should wait until at least 90% of the fan base has the game before we post pics online >_>

...where will it stop? Do you think they'll ever message serebii again about this?

locodude0001

Uber Trainer
Uber Trainer
@Clover wrote:
I actually had another concern....as it seems like Nintendo is trying to keep the info secret:

Maybe they're ashamed 5th gen exists and are trying to rid of all evidence it exists besides selling the games for moneyz

arceusvoice

Mystic Trainer
Mystic Trainer
this is weird and unnecessary ._.

why don't they let us see a bit of the new games and make us wait MONTHS to only try to buy them?

i think it is ridiculous

I mean dudes they are giving you something kinda like ads saying "OHEMGEE the new games are amazing oh look the game is fantastic, it has this thing that is amazing and blah blah blah gjfgfjkdhjkh" and people say " I wanna get it so badly D:" but instead they say "NO DEWD, you won't post moar cool info or Imma put you in jail D<"

I mean, i know some people want to keep it a surprise, but as clover said, people can choose whether if they want to know about the new games or not, they aren't forced to watch the new stuff...as i said before RIDICULOUS

but however, those are their games so they can choose if they want something to happen or not :/

i'm gonna be the very best.
{red}

Bekki

Trainer
Trainer
Heard about this one and to me it is stupid. I have a few new gen images from other sites and I am suprised that Nintendo has taken this action. This has been going on for about 14 years and that is the time that I have played the games.

This is a blank at the moment.
My name will be added when I can be bothered.
::raikou:: Jirachi ::raikou::

5P33D5

Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain
To tell the truth i think its a scam... Nintendo should be bragging about 5th gen :\

also check this pokebeach article out - it's long but it expresses his/her anger xD:

Spoiler:

I would like to address the various game blogs that have reported on this whole PokeBeach / Nintendo situation. At first supporting us, many of these blogs have recently updated their news stories to state that we posted images from roms of the games, which, according to their theorizing, is why Nintendo reacted so strongly to our news coverage. This is absolutely not true, and a number of these blogs have not responded to our e-mail requests to correct this information or have completely misinterpreted our comments. Furthermore, most of these blogs have never even spoken with us, relying rather unprofessionally on their website's user comments, posts from even more uninformed forum users, and news stories posted on other misinformed blogs. So let me give it to you straight: at no time were images from roms posted on this website. All in-game photos from this news story and this news story (both posted Thursday), as stated in their opening paragraphs, came from 2ch's Japanese players who had legitimate copies of the games. These were the posts that the Nintendo lawyer targeted for image eradication over the phone. If you look at this front page, no images we have posted over this past week were scanned or photographed by us. We merely collected photos from across the Internet and posted them, as did many other fan websites. The lawyer specifically told us over the phone that Nintendo did not want these photo collections to be posted on larger Pokemon websites and seen by fans - and still does not want us to have any images of the games up - despite the release of the games. This is the egregious heart of the issue.

As with any major situation, scandal, or UFO sighting, there is always something "fishy" that people will pick out and explode into something that is nothing (human nature). It seems in attempting to understand why Nintendo would issue what appeared to be such an unreasonable cease and desist, many fans looked to our limited rom use as the source of their ridiculous actions. To go over this past week, an unstable rom of the game was released Friday afternoon (Saturday in Japan) after many Japanese and foreigners had already received their games in the mail and after the aforementioned photos had already been posted. For convenience, and because our physical copies had not yet arrived, we played the rom for a while to report on the game's storyline. However, the developers made it so that Pokemon would not level-up if the game was played as a rom, so we didn't even get 15 minutes into the story. One of us received our Pokemon White in the mail almost immediately after and we caught up and continued our coverage with the real copy, using webcams and Skype to watch, describe, translate, and post the contents of this news story as a team. Again, no images from a rom were ever posted. Furthermore, and most importantly, the Nintendo lawyer never mentioned, insinuated, or discussed the reason for their demands as related to rom use even though the news story posted on that day, which he reviewed over the phone, stated "We just received copies of Pokemon Black and White (the roms, that is - our real copies are still being shipped)." His only concern was for our images - he stated this multiple times. To further prove this, two other sites that were targeted by Nintendo never even said a word about using a rom, so this obviously was not the reason for these cease and desist orders, not to mention that his original letter specifically targeted the images. Bottom line: this whole rom stuff has nothing to do with anything that has happened. It was always about the images. The cease and desist order was probably a few days in the making as well, especially since the lawyer stated he was working on this issue with the Nintendo folks in Washington and their brothers back in Japan.

And as for the people saying this is all fake, please stop. You don't know everything we know. You haven't seen the documents we've seen. You haven't talked to the lawyer we have. You don't have the capacity to look into anything - you don't even have the lawyer's name or other information we've been sent. You don't have the right to claim this is fake when you don't have access to the most basic information. The lawyer is real and so is the cease and desist order - we have confirmed it through various indisputable means as I have said until I'm blue in the face on various message boards. So please accept it and stop derailing the issue with "lol its fake grammer errors."

After I replaced all of our Black and White images with Ditto and made fun of Nintendo's ridiculous actions toward myself and other fan websites by using the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, the lawyer sent me this:

...We note that you have removed the infringing content from your website so that it is no longer publicly accessible. We have accordingly contacted your domain registrar to rescind the copyright takedown notice issued earlier this weekend. [WPM Note: This made my blood boil. They actually were going to take away my .com over images of games that so many people already had in their hands? Guess we would have to register Pokerbeach.com.)

This matter accordingly appears to be concluded, provided that you refrain from posting any content that infringes Nintendo’s copyright and otherwise avoid violating Nintendo’s intellectual property rights. [Yeah that's not conveniently ambiguous.] We trust that, going forward, you will post only authorized images from Nintendo’s games, follow the applicable guidelines governing the use of such images, and otherwise limit your use of Nintendo’s copyrighted material to fair use. The volume of unauthorized material posted on your site previously far exceeded the limits of fair use, which necessitated this action. [Guess you didn't see our HGSS coverage. Very Happy]

We appreciate your responsiveness in addressing this serious legal matter. This letter is without prejudice to any and all rights or remedies available to Nintendo of America Inc., its parent or affiliated companies, all of which are expressly reserved. [I wuv you too Mr. Lawyer.]

So it seems this really is just about them being paranoid about Black and White images being posted for the general public to see (as the lawyer stated in our phone conversation and as his original e-mail stated). They probably do not want the games to be spoiled, but I guess they don't realize that you can't keep us from knowing about new games in this day and age (after all, what's known in Japan is known here almost instantly). This is the new age - an age of networking, information spread, and instant access. You can't force us to avoid spoilers when there's this little thing called the Internet that connects us all together, especially when there's such a huge gap between the release of the games in Japan and their release worldwide. Maybe you could try to do a simultaneous release... did you ever think of that, Nintendo? Once the games are released in Japan EVERYONE knows EVERYTHING about them EVERYWHERE anyway. Why not try to do a simultaneous release? People like Bangiras have the skills to translate the whole game in a day or two. Why can't you?

While Nintendo apparently thinks it can stop people from being spoiled, we obviously have to comply with them (for now). Since the same content we posted is still available on a multitude of fan sites, I wanted to know why we can't post such content too. So are we not allowed to post images of the Pokemon anymore? Did this cease and desist only apply to the actual images we posted this past week? Are we allowed to post Pokemon sprites like so many other fan sites? I e-mailed him back and asked, "... Also, when will I be able to post Pokemon sprites? All other Pokemon websites have them up. I don't think it's fair that myself and the other sites you targeted won't be able to post them now."

With regard to your below questions, be advised that Nintendo respects the right of others to make fair use of publicly-available copyrighted materials as permitted by law. However, the use of Nintendo's unpublished copyrighted materials or other proprietary information that Nintendo has not authorized for public release is not permitted, which necessitated the actions over the weekend to protect the company’s intellectual property rights. I trust this sufficiently addresses your concerns.

Wha? Stop using lawyer speak on me! Does that mean I can or can't post them?

I’ve outlined Nintendo’s position and provided guidance as to what is, and is not, acceptable to Nintendo. Beyond that, I cannot provide you with legal advice.

Like heck you outlined anything! So I guess I can decide whether or not I can post the sprites? And then you can send me a threatening letter if I'm wrong since you won't answer such a basic question? Doesn't sound like you're saying no... So is that a yes? Too much ambiguity for me. I'm trying to figure out what I've done wrong / why / how to avoid it in the future and this guy sure isn't helping! Does he even really know what's going on?

Honestly, this entire situation has left me deeply, deeply disappointed and angry with Nintendo. I didn't know that when Junichi Masuda signed my laptop last year that I would be dealing with this now. This is NOT how you treat your dedicated fans. Why don't you people go after the companies that are mass-producing fake cards (that I get e-mails about like... every day) or the websites that let you download roms? I mean don't you have anything better to do, Nintendo? I've dedicated myself to the Pokemon fandom for seven years and this is what I get from you people? I've never asked for anything in return and I don't expect anything in return, but I never thought I would get attacked by you for promoting your own games. Do you honestly think that any of your fan sites have caused you "substantial damage?" That would be PRETTY hard to prove in court. If anything they're the people helping keep your franchise successful - that's just logical. And I doubt anyone would argue against that. Or is that what you're telling us, Nintendo?

Click on Giratina to see my profile!

Bekki

Trainer
Trainer
Blimey s/he is quite angry on this one.

Mysidia

Mystic Trainer
Mystic Trainer
Well usually the most probable reason for a game company to do this is that the game has received bad feedbacks and that they have to make adjustment for later release. Not sure if this is true for B/W?

Jojo-Kunn

Pokémon Legend
Pokémon Legend
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

'Nuff said.

I Won't Tell You That I Love You,
Kiss Or Hug You,
Cause I'm Bluffin' With My Muffin,
I'm Not Lying, I'm Just Stunnin' With My Love Glue Gunnin'.

Serotonin

Team Rocket
Team Rocket
@locodude0001 wrote:Maybe they're ashamed 5th gen exists and are trying to rid of all evidence it exists besides selling the games for moneyz

I LAUGHED SO HARD AT THIS.
I LOVE YOU, LOCO.

http://www.seeking-eudamonia.tumblr.com

Clover

Admin
Admin
adoxography wrote:
@locodude0001 wrote:Maybe they're ashamed 5th gen exists and are trying to rid of all evidence it exists besides selling the games for moneyz

I LAUGHED SO HARD AT THIS.
I LOVE YOU, LOCO.

Nice nice XD I guess that makes more sense then random e-mails being sent out with fancy book learnin' lawyer talk.

Some Law/business major has too much time on their hands =_=

Mysidia

Mystic Trainer
Mystic Trainer
lol this is a very interesting point locodude. XD

Blaze

Pokémon Professor
Pokémon Professor
ok, its time for me to post : P

~What I sent to Nintendo~

Dear Nintendo,

I’ve seen several Pokemon fansites take down their images of the newest Pokemon Black and White games at your request. I just wanted to write in to express my dissatisfaction with this request. We as fans would like to know all about the games that your company publishes and would like to fully appreciate the long hard work Game Freak has put into this new generation of Pokemon games. It seems uncharacteristic for Nintendo to be so harsh on sites that only wish to see your games thrive and help build the community around them. It hurts not only fans, but also our image of Nintendo as a company. We hope you would reconsider your recent actions taken against sites such as Serebii (http://serebii.net) and PokeBeach (http://pokebeach.com).

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
X

----------------------------------------

Their Response~

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about our request regarding Pokemon Black and White images. I wanted to let you know that Nintendo supports and appreciates the efforts that Pokemon fans go through to create fan sites. In most cases there is no issue with the content that is posted, but on this occasion we had to contact a select few websites to ask them to take down confidential images.

I also wanted to let you know that your comments have been documented and made available to other departments to use as they see fit. Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny
Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/

http://www.nintendo.com/consumersurvey.jsp?iid=859396&aid=94&ref=blazikenfire@live.com

If you are unable to open the survey directly from this link, please copy and paste the entire link into your Internet browser.

-------------------------------

What do you guys think?

Nellie Lovett

Team Rocket
Team Rocket
@Blaze wrote:
I also wanted to let you know that your comments have been documented and made available to other departments to use as they see fit. Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

...That sounds a bit dodgy to me, I dunno why:\.

Hunt me down, smear my name, say I did it for the fame, what I did
was kill the man who killed my country.

Epic avatar by Griffinheart.
http://md427.deviantart.com/

Jenrya Miku

Team Galactic
Team Galactic
I like her name.

Clover

Admin
Admin
usually people from an established company post their position, contact info (number etc) and other information. Not just their name and website....

just form past experience!

Bekki

Trainer
Trainer
I am also gussing that the this is same one that they send to other people when e-mailing about B/W images. Other companies like SquareEnix have no problems this image realesing before the game comes out. I had FF13 images about a year before the game came out.

Annyway, my point is that Nintendo is being stupid and they are thinking that the game will not be a hit. Well it is a hit in Japan. Nintendo stop being stupid, respect your loyal fans and and give us some images.

Nuf said.

Jojo-Kunn

Pokémon Legend
Pokémon Legend
Shifty Nintendo e-mails are shifty.

I Won't Tell You That I Love You,
Kiss Or Hug You,
Cause I'm Bluffin' With My Muffin,
I'm Not Lying, I'm Just Stunnin' With My Love Glue Gunnin'.

Bekki

Trainer
Trainer
Too true on that one.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum